Blog Critiquing #1 9/12/2022

 

1.        The first blog I’m critiquing is from a peer of mine named Johlissa (link to blog: https://blogbystudent5desir.blogspot.com), the difference between her videos and others were that she recorded it with a camera rather than using phones like the majority of the class did. In one of her videos, she zoomed in a book which gave me a feeling as if the book has some importance to a story line. Though, I do believe that she could have used a static movement shot to film this scene especially since you can see that later in the video the camera gets too shaky to focus on the book. Most of her videos were straight forward and easy to understand on what she was trying to achieve by using a certain type of shot or angle. For example, in her wide shot video, we can see a good portion of the bookshelf, telling us the setting of the scene. And we can also view the two characters fighting over a book. On one of her videos, specifically the long shot scene, Desir recorded the bookshelves by walking horizontally to capture the entire shelf. Though when I recorded my long shot scene, the camera was at a great distance from the characters in the video. I believe that Desir should’ve recorded the bookshelves from a greater distance to clearly let the viewers see that it was filmed as a long shot.

 

2.        The second blog I reviewed was from Ernest (blog link: ernestmetelus1.blogspot.com/2022/08/10-camera-shotsagnles.html) which his shots were well filmed. What I mean by this is that the camera was barely shaking when he would use the static movement. For example, when filming the master shot, the camera is very still to only focus on the characters, which is an excellent choice of camera movement for the master shot. Focusing more on camera movements, I saw Ernest moving the camera closer to a classmate’s face as he’s turning the camera using the Dutch angle. Though I liked the creativity, I believed that he could’ve zoomed out as he is moving the camera forward to use the dolly zoom shot which would’ve given the scene a more dramatic affect. I also appreciate how he uses a light toned font since he has a darker background. Which helps others clearly see the text in his blog.

Comments