Sound Art Project 10/10/2022

Steven Leon

Sound Art Project:

          I worked on this project with one other classmate, Remi, and we chose to create Foley sounds attempting to make it sound as if someone is walking at the beach, into the water. As we noticed that the majority of the class went for a simple scene, we chose to do something more fun like the beach. Though before we started working, we made sure to agree on which roles we would take on. I chose to recreate the majority of Foley sounds needed for the scene. As well, let Remi choose the sound she wanted to create and edit the videos and sounds together. After establishing our roles in the project, we started brainstorming on which sounds to imitate and which objects needed to recreate the Foley effects. I used a couple YouTube videos and the site WonderPolis to get an idea of which objects I could use. As we got to the editing part of the project, we used the iMovie application to layer sounds with the Foley ones we made. The problem was that when Remi would apply these free sounds from iMovie, they wouldn't make the "right" sound, even if she'd change the pitch of the sound. So, our teacher recommended us WeVideo, a video editing app, which gave us more resources to edit the sounds we were using. Another obstacle we’ve encountered was our objects not sounding the way we’d think they’d sound. I first chose a Ziploc bag with a bunch of air inside of it to recreate a wind/breeze in the beach; and as I squeezed a bit of the air out, it would constantly give me a sharp quick wind noise which would not fit in a beach setting. As I said before, I used online resources to have ideas of which objects to use, and so my other option was blowing into a Coca-Cola© glass bottle. I believe Remi and I succeeded when it came to creating and editing the water splashing sound effects because I used a bucket filled with water and splashed the water around with my hands meanwhile keeping a walking rhythm. Remi only made the splashing sound even more accurate as she would increase the volume of the splashing when a wave would come and made sure to layer the sound with the seagulls and chatter from others who would be at the beach. Overall, it was another great experience for me when working with a classmate on a project. There were only a couple obstacles which were quickly taken care of with the help of our teacher and the media.

Comments