What Inspired me? 1/25/2023


    The genre which my classmates and I chose for our film opening was horror. I specifically chose horror because of how dramatic the scenes can be. One horror film which influenced my decision in picking our film opening genre is “The Lighthouse”. This is because of how the camera work was what significantly dramatized the horror of being stranded with a stranger in a remote island. For the plot of our story, we’re following a “Jig Saw” theme where our characters will struggle to beat the “Wordle game” which is based off the online game. Although my group and I have not gone through deciding how we should go about the opening of the film, a couple ideas have already been thought of. For example, my idea was for the protagonist to walk home from a tiresome day of school, then as they walk into their room, they realize that they have not closed shut their laptop. This is where I thought of implementing a dolley shot (where we move closer to a subject meanwhile zooming out) for the viewers to focus on the laptop as well as intensify a tension of worry with the object. Although I have not thought about which sound should the laptop imitate, the screen (which was turned off when the protagonist entered the room) will turn on with a very bright white screen. The “Wordle” game will start loading and advising the user to press a button to start the game. But I’m getting a bit ahead of myself, so let me talk about the very beginning of the film. I thought of starting the film with an establishing shot where it’ll first tilt from the sky to showing the street and the sidewalk where our protagonist will be walking from school. Throughout that time frame, I will take the role (as editor) to edit in the credits of the distribution company, production company, actors/starring cast, who the music was made by, who wrote the script, who it was produced by, directed by, who edited the film (me), and who the story was by. After displaying the credits, I thought of using a long shot with a low angle shot so that we can see the student (protagonist) walk down the sidewalk and once they start approaching the camera at a close distance, we can use a camera pedestal movement to level the camera up to the characters eye level and then pan to the front of the house. All these ideas of mine were inspired by a variety of films such as Hereditary, IT, lighthouse (as said previously), Nope, Conjuring and more.

Comments